Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Saturday # 45 BYU Museum of Art & A Cherry Tart

Today I decided to experience the arts.. both the visual and the "eatable." So I drove to Cougarland to visit BYU's art museum. Couple exhibits going on right now, "American Dreams" and a photography exhibit that I loved! And, I was thrilled to see this painting by the Danish artist, Carl Bloch.

Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda



Not allowed to take pictures in the galleries..
but it was okay to take a picture of this "thingy" in the middle of the lobby.
LOVE!
I LIKE IT!




A few highlights from the American Dream exhibit.. "Summer Time" and "Yankee Doodle" by Norman Rockwell.. an all American. A few pieces by Andy Warhol, including a Marilyn Monroe silkscreen print. Also, in another exhibit, several Rembrandt etchings dated from the 1600s. AND, someone's scriptures. It's ART!?

The photography exhibit was the highlight. I'm still trying to figure out what "oil on panel" means. It's a technique used to create this type of photo/painting (maybe). Up close this picture looks like a painting, but the detail is so remarkable I thought it was a photograph.


Is it an oil painting or a photograph? Can't tell. Whatever it is, it's fabulous and "there's a lot more where that came from."


Later, as far as the "eatable art," I attempted to make a delicate looking "Staked Puff Pastry" (something I saw on the Food Network). Mine turned out to be an oversize cherry tart. Huge! I could have fed the masses, and I enjoyed all two bits of it.

No comments: