Friday, January 8, 2010

Saturday #43-January 2, 2010

Sister's Day Out! Yup, that was what I did on Saturday #43...the first Saturday of 2010. It was Kendra's birthday so we celebrated with a bit of beauty pampering, a bit of shopping, a bit of food!

Beauty Pampering (Maybe pampering isn't quite the right word...torture?)
Angela and Kendra introduced me to the wonder of threading. Ever heard of it? Have you ever taken a rubber band, twisted it up and then released it into someones hair? No? Yeah, me neither. But some kid in Jr. High did it to a girl sitting in front of him and it wasn't pretty! All her hair got tangled in the rubber band and the only way to get it out was by cutting a huge chunk of her hair off. Poor thing basically had a bald spot the rest of the school year. Not nice...not pretty! But, the concept applies to treading.

The technician (Natasha-who was excellent by the way) twists up some tread and then releases it on the hair. When she reapplies the tension in the tread it pulls the hair out. Quick and painless! Well, almost painless. And it doesn't hurt the skin like waxing can.

If you are in the Phoenix/Mesa/Tempe area and want to get your eyebrows done, go to India Bazaar, 933 E. University Dr., #115, 480-334-5579. It's only $8 to get your eyebrows done! Anyone know a good threading place in Utah?

So here's a picture of me getting my eyebrows and upper lip threaded...








Not to be left out, here are some photos of Angela and Kendra. Kendra was going to wimp out and not do her upper lip, but Natasha offered to do it for her as a birthday gift.









Shopping!
We went to Nordstrom's Last Chance to bargain shop for clothes and shoes. I got a couple of skirts on sale for $8.50 and some sweaters for $15.00. I also came home with a pair of New Balance running shoes for $12.50. Yup! Definitely bargains! But finding space in my luggage for these last minute purchases was a bit of a problem! Both sisters found fun things too. Too bad I don't have a picture of us with all our purchases.

Food!
For the second Saturday in a row I enjoyed some Thai food. No elephants at this place though. As always, the food was yummy. I'm a huge fan of the coconut soup and massaman curry. Wow! Just thinking about it is making my mouth water. At the end of the meal we all got fortune cookies. Mine wasn't a fortune as much as it was a statement..."Love is the most valuable thing in life." So true!

LOVE!
So since it was her birthday on Saturday, let me tell you about my sister Kendra and why I love her. Kendra is just 18 months younger than I am. I think the earliest memory I have of her is when I was about 4 and she was 3. I had her stand against the brick wall in our basement and using the grout line between the bricks as a guide, attempted to cut her hair. I thought I was being clever and creative. But, basically when I was done I'd pretty much chopped off all her lovely long locks-and ended my career potential as a hair stylist.

Some of my favorite memories with Kendra have been our trips together--like a weekend camping trip to Zion's National Park ("Death race to the bottom!" and "A swamp in the desert? Yes!") and to England ("Nice phone box!").

And did I mention how creative and talented my sister is? She has more creative ability in her little finger than anyone I know! I have beautiful glass panels in my kitchen because Kendra took an idea out of a magazine and made it a reality for me. A couple of years ago she stocked my jewelry box with hand-made glass bead necklaces and earrings. And she sponsored, designed, choreographed, produced, advertised and managed two Dance-For-A-Baby fundraising shows to help raise adoption money for Angela & Tim and Brian & Janelle.

Kendra and I have different personalities and beliefs, but our relationship as sisters binds us together and gives us the common ground to develop a loving and respectful friendship. I admire and love my beautiful, talented, and amazing sister Kendra!

Happy Birthday Kendra!
For her birthday cake Angela and I attempted an Ace of Cakes-like creation...but not quite as extreme! I think it turned out pretty good.

5 comments:

Kendra Davey said...

Thanks so much for the beautiful birthday cake, the fun times, all the great memories and the loving words. I am extremely grateful to have such a wonderful, kind, creative big sister as an example and a friend!

Julie J. said...

I wax my eye brow(s) when I can afford it but I have come to embrace my moustache.

Jen said...

Wow! you really have hidden talents. That's why I love this blog!

The birthday cake is AMAZING!

Jen said...

"Amy's Ace of Cakes" I think it's wonderful business idea and something to be pursued. If you build it I will come..

Unknown said...

First, that cake is amazing!!

Second, I want to see pictures of the jewelry and the the glass panels, I am quite jealous.

Third, you will have to give me all the details about the threading and I am defiantly going to look into that this year.

p.s. When your 52 Saturdays are done, how am I going to learn about all these things. Keep on blogging blogger it is so YOU!!