Monday, December 7, 2009

Saturday #39-December 5, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree! Yup, this is the theme for my 39th Saturday of Fun!

It's become a Christmas tradition to attend the Festival of Trees in support of Primary Children's Hospital. Trees are decorated and donated to the festival, usually in honor or in memory of someone who's life has been touched by PCH. Sometimes there are stories written up about the person in whose honor the tree is donated...and usually they are tear-jerkers! So, the Festival of Trees is the best way to spend $4.00 and a couple hours on a Saturday to really get in the holiday spirit.

There are trees decorated in every style, size and theme...















I thought of Madeline when I saw the frog tree...













And Tonya when I saw the ME Tree...












This star reminded me of something you might see in the Philippines...made out of the plastic holders from a 6 pack of soda...












The Very Hungry Caterpillar tree made me think of Athena...
















And the Star Wars trees looked like something Joseph and his boys would make if they had all the Star Wars toys...














The Fairies Tree reminded me of Amy M. and Miss Emmie...














Like I said, trees are auctioned off and the money is donated to Primary Children's Hospital. I was seriously thinking about buying one in support of a good cause. But almost all of them were sold and the few not sold had a pretty hefty price tag...a little out of my "good cause" budget.

Being in tree mode, I set out on a quest to get my own Christmas tree. I've always purchased a real tree for Christmas and I was all set to buy another one this year. I even went so far as to buy a new tree stand, which is something I vow to do every year!

But then I found myself drawn to the concept of a PRE-LIT tree! I hate, really HATE stringing lights on a Christmas tree. It's boring, tedious, and time consuming. Two years ago, I basically just threw a few strings of lights and called it good! And then spent the holidays ignoring the fact the lights were all gobbed on one side of the tree.

So, despite my love of hunting through the tree lot for the perfect tree and despite the fun of tying the tree to the top of my car and driving it home, and despite the smell of fresh pine in my living room and despite the weird satisfaction I get from vacuuming up pine needles for the next three months, I bought myself a FAKE, pre-lit tree.

I got it home, took it out of the box, put it together...and nearly burst into tears with disappointment! It looked small and pathetic, smelled like plastic, and I still had to string lights on the blasted thing!

Watching and singing along to my all-time favorite Christmas movie "White Christmas" helped ease some of the tree disappointment while I decorated it. And in the end my pathetic fake tree didn't turn out half bad.

(Coming Soon...a picture of my tree...)

But, next year, I think I'll donate my little tree to a good cause and go back to the tradition of a real tree for Christmas.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

You bought a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, kind of!! I am sure any tree you would buy would be magnificent. I am a little disappointed you didn't buy the ME tree and bring it with you when you come to my house. I am sure they could have tied it to the top of the plane.

Jackie said...

You are so funny, Amy. I love a real tree but we've had a fake tree for about 13 years. I just told Emma (4) about your story and how it yours looked scraggly and she said "oh, like ours?" in a sort of matter-of-fact but pleasant voice. I guess it's not bad when it's all you've ever known. I love the thought of a pre-lit tree. Maybe they could genetically engineer a real pine with lights!