Monday, November 16, 2009

Saturday #36-November 14, 2009

I love Christmas! It's one of my favorite holidays. With that being said, however, I am one of those people who believes that Christmas celebrations should not start until after Thanksgiving!

Ba! Humbug! To Christmas music, Christmas events, Christmas lights, Christmas trees, and Christmas shopping until AFTER watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, overeating turkey, mom's stuffing, and 7 layer Jello, and a few hours of post-dinner football. The Friday after Thanksgiving is when I think it's okay to start putting up the tree and lights and turning on the Christmas tunes.

So, I will admit I had a hard time getting into the spirit of things when I went to the Gingerbread Festival at Thanksgiving Point on Saturday.


The Gingerbread Festival is an event hosted by the BSA in support of art education and the PTA and showcases gingerbread houses decorated by boy scout troops and elementary school classes from all over the valley. There were some pretty creative decorating going on! It was fun to see how candy can be used to create rooftops and chimneys and fires and pathways and wreaths and windows and doors and fenses...

And there were some pretty amazing "professional" gingerbread houses...


Decorating and eating my own gingerbread cookie and sipping hot chocolate helped jump start the holiday spirit.


But, just so you all know, despite having fun at the Gingerbread Festival, I didn't run home and start up the Christmas music while I hung Christmas light. Oh no, no, no! My fall leaves and Autumn Harvest decor is staying up until the day after Thanksgiving. We still have still almost two weeks until the Christmas celebrations can official begin!

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh My GOSH!! That temple ginger bread house is amazing!! I love the look on the ladies face in the back ground. I want to say-- only in Utah County would art like that truly be appreciated...

Julie J. said...

I'm glad you had fun because my dad is in charge of that event. And I have to say that I'm all for Christmas music all year around, but the decore has to wait until after Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Amen!!!!

Jackie said...

I agree but I never get enough of the Christmas music and am sad when they take it off the air the day after Christmas. So, I guess I'll start listening a little early this year and see if it helps.

However, I think Christmas decorations in stores in like October is just ridiculous.

I remember your mom's 7 layer jello salad!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I was wondering if the quilt post was way too sappy. Take care.

p.s. I think you should come to Idaho for a Saturday of fun!