Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saturday #21-August 1, 2009

20 Years...

I now know why I bought a High School yearbook. It's not so future generations can mock hair and clothing styles--although I'm sure they will (I do now! Seriously! Who thought acid washed, pegged jeans was a good fashion statement?). It's not for the comments written by friends (Thanks for saying I was cool, but did you really think we would say in touch?). It's not even for a reminder that I was young once (Check out my senior photo...someone said I haven't changed...well, a nice compliment, but I hope I look a little older, wiser, more mature?).

The reason I needed a yearbook is so I could cram just before going to my 20th High School Reunion-just like cramming for AP History quizzes-in a vain attempt to remember names and faces of kids I haven't seen (or thought about) in 20 years!

I graduated from Orem High (go Tigers!) in 1989 and tonight was our 20 year reunion. Months ago I decided I wasn't interested in going. It would be a waste of time and money, after all, since I don't even keep in touch with the four or five close friends I had back then. But, the miracle of Facebook happened. Needless to say, I changed my mind and decided to go. It was well worth my time and money!

One of the highlights from tonight was a group photo of all the folks I've known since elementary school. There were a bunch of us! I kept waiting for the chicken to hit me--who remembers the chicken man who would take all our school photos? "Don't hit me chicken!!"

Craig, Darrin, Dorian, Scott, Stephen, Andy, Steve, Nicole, Jeff, Melinda, Stephanie, David, Adrianna, Andrea, Polly, Eric, Deann, Mindy, Me, Glen, April, Eric, Michael, April, Christa, Michelle...I think I got everyone!

A few of the friends I saw....

With DeAnn Halladay and with Kelly Thompson.

And with Andrea Nicoll and Scott Preston.

And with Corrie Biesinger.
And we'll never forget!!!
Go for the Gold...That's what we've been told...
Never settle for second best...Always GO FOR THE GOLD!!!

Sam Beeson, Class President and fellow SEM Missionary (funny how that works sometimes) kept the evening entertainment short and sweet and not too embarrassing. Matt Harding, Student Body President who is traveling the world as a musician performed for us. It just wouldn't be a class reunion without a song by Matt. Too bad Sonny & Cher didn't make an appearance! Kudos to the committee who pulled the reunion together. It was very well done!


Some of the reunion festivities took place on Friday night--including a singing reunion with folks from Show & Chamber. I was reminded how much music was a part of my life then and how much I LOVED singing with these people. We did a few numbers from memory and I was completely astounded by how much I could remember, especially since most of it I haven't thought about in 20 years!!! I guess that's the power of music. And, even after 20 years and a few voice changes, we all sounded pretty good. I left feeling inspired to do something more with my talent.

After a couple of hours with my Show & Chamber friends, I headed over to Mimi's Cafe to have dessert with some of the girls--now women--I grew up with. We visited for over 2 hours! I left feeling incredibly blessed to have grown up with these beautiful women and to know them now. Wow! Incredible life stories. We've all changed...and I'd say we're all better for the past 20 years.

Michelle, Me, Andrea, Jerilynn, Deann, Jennifer, Corrie.


So, my last comment: High school for most of us was full of insecurities about looks, popularity, grades, friends, and fitting in. It's a time when lifelong friendships were formed and we started really developing who and what we would be when we grew up. The reunion tonight was a reminder that, despite some painful and hard high school days, it was all worth it in the end. We turned out pretty good.

6 comments:

Julie J. said...

I started at the beginning and went through all the Saturdays. What a fun and ingenius idea. You and Jennifer are so entertaining! I'll be back to stalk again soon. Hmmm, maybe once a week for the next installment.

Jen said...

Look at your HS picture. You haven't changed a bit!
Glad you had a great time!

Tonya said...

Oh, no, no, no, you turned out pretty dang well!!!

Jen said...

"Go for the gold that's what we've been told...." I can't believe you know it too, I thought my school was the only amazing one.

You and Jen crack me up! You should write a book about your blog. Ha!Ha!Ha!

andrea said...

Fun times!!!! And we DID turn out great, didn't we! Was there ever a doubt though?! ;)

Mrs. O said...

That has to be the one of the worst pictures of me out there, by my expression, it looks like you're standing on my foot. But we had a great time, didn't we?