Saturday, July 4, 2009

Saturday # 16 - June 28 - Brugge Belgium Baby!











Last Saturday I spent most of the day in Brugge Belgium, or "the Venice of the North." It's about an hour train ride outside of Brussels. This city dates back to the 12th Century! It's so old! ("It's so old".. is a comment I said over and over when Amy and I were in Italy a couple years ago... such a profound, deep statement I know!)
Back to Brugge... I had the pleasure of taking a boat ride through this fantastic city. Because I was one of the last people to catch the boat, the "skipper" asked me to sit in the middle (don't rock the boat!) that's why most of my boat pictures have heads in them. What I really wanted to do is lean over the side and dangle my finger tips in the water while I held my decorative, lace bumbershoot over my head.
Brugge reminds me of Cinderella. I imaged her locked up in one of these tiny houses while her prince charming galloped around holding her glass slipper. The city offers a horse and carriage tour.. and my favorite sound that day was the sound of horseshoes and carriage wheels on the cobblestones.
I bought Belgium lace, ate a waffle, had lunch at a little outdoor cafe, and ran down the street with the local marching band! Yes, the official Brugge marching band! It was a city holiday that day and I jogged down the street along side the local marching band. It was a fabulous Saturday-o-fun activity!

2 comments:

GoddessNMommy said...

Brugge is one of my favorite cities, I love the lace shopping and the chocolates. Tim carried Athena in a Baby Bjorn up to the top of the bell tower when she was 8 months old.

Teresa said...

I have always wanted to visit this city. i have been briefly in Brussels- long enough to buy a waffle. Looks like you are having a great trip! I look forward to more posts from Europe!