Thursday, February 25, 2010

Saturday #50 Avoid Quilting Mistakes



I recommend the "Beginner's Top Flops & Solutions" guide to get you through some tough situations.

Amy has quilting skills. Over a year ago she offered to share these skills and teach me how to make a quilt. We are both making a "block a month" quilt. Hooray for talented, domestic friends. Thanks for teaching me Sister Smith! We're in the final stretch now and we hope to wrap these up next month? But... this Saturday I had some hiccups with my October block.

The pattern looks simple, however my sewing machine (from the speciality sewing store... "Costco") flashed a "technical issue, please stand by" alert. Okay? Basically, all I really needed to do was swap "feet" and shift into another gear but I didn't realize this until after I spent a few hours tinkering with the machine and sewing random, pretty stitches on my October pumpkin scraps.

So, to help keep me motivated today, I decided to consult the beginner's quilting guide..

"The most common mistake of beginning quilters is strangely the reason that attracted them to the art - the pattern. While visiting a museum or flipping through a book, they see a quilt that ASTOUNDS them. They want to make that quilt and they want to make it NOW."

"Your first quilt is a reflection of who you ARE at this MOMENT in time. (LOL!) The pattern, the fabric, the quilting design all reflect who YOU ARE right now (I am a giant pumpkin square). Included with that are your mistakes. Love them. Appreciate them. Without them, you will not be able to see your growth" (I do like button holes, even without the buttons).

I'm enjoying this new hobby! I don't know if this quilting thing "ASTOUNDS" me, but I'm going to at least put down on my "wife's resume" that I have quilting skills, at this "MOMENT IN TIME."

1 comment:

Karol said...

Make sure you post pics of your finished product! I aspire to be more like you Jen! I totally want to make a quilt.

haha, something funny....my word verification: tryitol

That's Jen and Amy -- you try it all! :)